Sunday, October 18, 2015

The fragrance of baked bananas in the bread

Wholewheat banana nut loaf
Reference recipe - Complete baking, Martha Day


And then the knife simply glides through! 



Credits 

The credit for my baking inspiration, exposure and learning completely goes to Chef Lynn in Ann Arbor. She gave me the opportunity to work with her, assist her and learn from her in a commercial kitchen which fed 150 people every evening for 300 days in a year at least. Besides that, she had also given me the correct tips of what not to do while baking, which in my opinion, are quite the lifesavers in the kitchen.








Presentation

Food presentation is something which I had to work upon myself. Its a continuously evolving process and requires understanding of audience, photography skills and the kind of food being served. Look for the Full course description here which defines the various aspects and timings of food to be covered. I think it serves as a good starting point to theme your food if/when required. Obviously, there exists a choice like service à la française, where you might serve everything in one go giving the choice to the person of defining their menu.


Thoughts to bake with 

You can't have too much butter, there's butter as a key ingredient in every baking expedition I can imagine. I am targeting at putting one recipe per week on average. The beauty of cooking by myself is I get to pick the ingredients, perhaps tweak some to the reference recipe (if there's one). The most important fact about cooking in my case is, it becomes my stress buster. My daytime job demands me to dig in about developments in human space exploration. 


The tweak

Instead of using butter (unsalted) and then adding extra salt to balance the baking flavours, quite a few times I use salted butter and not add additional salt. This adds the flavour from the Amul butter, which I think is exceptional in this country. During my travels across India and abroad, the most important article I missed across was the flavour of Amul butter. Now I am really out of excuses yeah!





No comments:

Post a Comment